Sforzesco Castle

Sforzesco Castle was for centuries the symbol of power exercised by the Lords of Milan and by foreign rulers. Only in the 20th century took the appearance of a place of culture. His name back to 15th century, at the time of Francesco Sforza, who wanted to rebuild from 1450, but the origin of the castle is older: It was commissioned by Galeazzo II Visconti in the second half of the fourteenth century.
Following the unification of Italy (1861) and the purchase of the complex by the city of Milan, Opens the phase of restoration and reconstruction, in which the protagonist architect Luca Beltrami. In 1905 opened the Torre del Filarete, completely rebuilt. The castle was thus returned to the city and intended to house museums and libraries, assuming the cultural and public function that still characterizes.
The Castle consists of several sections: the monumental building, the ground floor of the Ducal Court with the museo d’Arte Antica, the first floor of the Ducal Court with the collection of furniture and art gallery, the first and second floor of the Rocchetta with collections of applied arts and the Museum of musical instruments, the Underground della Rocchetta and the Viscontea Hall with prehistoric Museum and the Egyptian Museum, the Embattled, the ravelin and the room of the guards.